How long does it take for wisdom teeth to heal?
There is not enough space in the jaw bones for our wisdom teeth because the jaw bones are now smaller than the old ones.
Although some scientists say that this is a problem caused by evolution, but the main reason underlying the problem is that; foods and drinks we eat are missing from some of the main nutrients.
Wisdom teeth are third molars and are located in the back of mouth. These teeth erupt mostly between the ages 18 to 24 years. There are generally 4 wisdom teeth. 2 in the upper jaw and 2 in the lower jaw. Some people have fewer wisdom teeth, some have more than 4 wisdom teeth, but this is a rare occurrence.
We know that there are not enough rooms for our wisdom teeth. This is because our jaws are not enough to grow for wisdom teeth. Due to insufficient space, wisdom teeth cause pain,pressure and discomfort while trying to emerge.
Some wisdom teeth are completely visible and others are embedded in the jawbone. The reason for such situations is entirely dependent on the anatomical and physical condition of the people.
Dentists generally recommend that the wisdom teeth must be pulled away without damaging the 2nd molar teeth. Removing wisdom teeth in younger ages is easier and does not cause any complications. Therefore, it is better to choose the right time for extraction of wisdom teeth.
But sometimes wisdom teeth come out smoothly, and they don’t affect our quality of life. Some dentists do not recommend the removal of wisdom teeth that are functioning smoothly and properly.
Do All wisdom teeth has to be removed?
The reason of wisdom teeth removal is to prevent them to harm other healthy teeth and to eliminate the problems that may occur in older ages. Wisdom teeth come out next to second molar teeth. When the wisdom teeth come out, they apply pressure vertically to second molar tooth and begin to erupt.
When these conditions begin to occur, there becomes an area which foods and food residues accumulate. Since this area will be difficult to clean, your wisdom teeth and second molar teeth may decay and cause painful infection.
Wisdom teeth removal must be perfomed at the following situations:
- If wisdom teeth causes gum problems
- If wisdom teeth growth affect to neighboring teeth
- If position of wisdom tooth prevent jaw movement and function
- If wisdom teeth are impacted
- Cavities (swollen gums lead to area where bacteria grow and cavities form)
- Wisdom tooth decay
In order to avoid from these conditions, specialists recommend to remove wisdom teeh as soon as possible.
As mentioned above, wisdom teeth do not appear and can be buried in the jawbone in some cases. In this cases, cyst formation can be seen in buried wisdom teeth but not all of them. The treatment of cysts caused by wisdom teeth is a more difficult and complex procedure. In order to avoid such situations, it is advisable to get your wisdom teeth removed.
Certain parts of humans are born without wisdom teeth and do not face the problem of wisdom tooth like other people.
When to Get Wisdom Teeth Removed?
Wisdom teeth are always removed by specialists. Sometimes, these extractions of wisdom teeth are very easy and comfortable while some times are quite difficult and complicated. So, what is the best time for extraction of wisdom teeth and when should it be done?
The teeth grow from crown to the roots. Therefore, if wisdom teeth are removed before the development the roots, tooth extraction will be easier and heal faster. So it will be the best time for you to get your wisdom teeth removed when the roots of wisdom teeth are not fully developed.
The following are the requirements for extraction of wisdom teeth:
- Pain in wisdom teeth or in the related area
- Infection in the mouth
- Swelling of the gumline
- Gum problems
- Jaw problems due to growth of wisdom teeth
It would be better for you to choose long holiday days for the extraction of your wisdom teeth. Some people will have more pain after tooth extraction, which will prevent daily tasks in school or at work.
Therefore, it is better for you to choose wisdom tooth extraction when you have a weekend or longer vacation opportunity. Keep in mind that, not all the wisdom teeth removal makes pain or swelling after the operation is done.
It is simpler to remove wisdom teeth before the root development complete and it is also better for individuals for faster healing.
For this reason, the best time for wisdom teeth removal is as early as possible, on holiday days , and by specialists in wisdom tooth extraction.
Some people avoid from wisdom teeth removal. The reason for this avoidance is mostly due to fear, irreverence, financial situation and psychological reasons. No matter how long you delay and avoid wisdom teeth removal, you will face this problem in a worse way in the future.
However, some people may not have a wisdom tooth problem or there may be enough room for wisdom teeth in the jawbone. People like this are probably not going to have problems with wisdom teeth.
How long does it take for wisdom teeth to heal?
It mostly takes one week for wisdom teeth to heal. At some times, wisdom teeth heal less than a week later. The wisdom teeth that heal in less than a week are generally uncomplicated and comfortable wisdom teeth.
Some factors that affect the healing period of the wisdom teeth include:
- What type of anesthesia you will have during the wisdom teeth removal
- Your nutrition after the wisdom teeth removal
- Cleaning inside of the mouth after treatment
- You need to follow instructions and protocols directed by your doctor (these will improve the healing process)
- Preventing a dry socket
Where is the best place for wisdom teeth removal?
There are so many hospital or clinics which perform wisdom teeth removal surgery. But keep in mind that, wisdom teeth removal can be complicated and diffucult. That is why, it is better to visit specialists in this field.
Specialists can handle with the unexpected conditions during your extraction or surgery. But there are also general dentists who can perform wisdom teeth removal if it is not complicated. Best way is to find dentists or oral surgeons who are cabapble of doing this all the time.
There are some people who are afraid of wisdom teeth removal. Keep in mind that, there are millions of wisdom teeth are pulled out by the specialists in the United States. Most important thing is to find experts on this field and the rest is easy.
How long does wisdom teeth removal take?
Wisdom teeth removal is performed with one to four teeth in the same day. Oral sugeons spend most of the time for preparing the patient for the surgery. Length of wisdom teeth removal depends on condition of the teeth.
It often takes less than one hour to remove all 4 wisdom teeth out. Sometimes, it takes more time or less depending on the treatment and numbers of teeth extracted out.
How much does wisdom teeth removal cost?
Wisdom teeth removal cost vary due to their condition in the mouth. Normal and simple wisdom tooth extraction can cost you around $75 and $200 per tooth depending on anesthesia.
If wisdom teeth are impacted, costs are higher than the normal ones. Impacted wisdom teeth are more expensive than normal ones because these kinds of teeth are considered a surgical removal. These kind of removals can cost you around $600 and 900 per tooth.
Keep in mind that, location is also important factor for the costs for the removal of wisdom teeth.
What kind of anesthesia will you get during wisdom teeth surgery?
If your dentist advice you to remove your wisdom teeth, then you have to listen your dentist and start to prepare for your treatment. Dentists use medications to relax uncomfortable patients during the surgery, who have fear or anxiety over wisdom teeth removal.
Before starting to treatment, you and your dentist have to discuss about your fears and doubts about procedure. There are some sedatives and anesthetics which are performed during the surgery.
These sedatives and anesthetics are:
Medication is injected into the area where treatment will be. This type of anesthesia will numb the area and block the sensation of pain during the surgery.
Conscious sedation is taken by an oral medication with an anti-anxiety pill. If medication is given in larger dose, medication can make you sleep during the surgery. It is better to someone to help you after the surgery.
Nitrous oxide is given to patient with mask. This helps you to relax and feel better during the procedure. Nitrous oxide effects will go away guickly after the treatment and you will be able to drive to your home yourself safely. If oral medication and nitrous oxide is given together to you, you will not be able to drive yourself to your home.
Intravenous (IV) sedation
Intravenous (IV) sedation is carried out by orally or through vein. Your dentist will decide which one is suitable for your condition. Intravenous (IV) sedation shows its effects quickly. In this application, you will be conscious and able to do some movements. Intravenous (IV) sedation is also applied together with local anesthesia and you will need someone to take you home.
General anesthesia is rarely applied to patients for wisdom teeth removal. If general anesthesia is applied, you will feel nothing and remember anything about it.
Some tips about wisdom teeth removal
Wisdom teeth removal is more diffucult and more complex than normal tooth removal. Therefore, You should know what to do before procedure and after the procedure.
Before coming to treatment, you should wash your mouth, brush your teeth and clean your tongue. You can also ask one of your friend to accompany for your visit to dentist or your family members can accompany in the surgery day.
Tips for during the procedure
- You can have a blanket for covering yourself during the procedure
- If your doctor allows you, you can take an anti-anxiety pill
- Before starting surgery, you can make breathe techniques to relax yourself
- You should prefer wearing relax and loose clothes during the wisdom teeth removal
- If you don’t want to hear the outside voices during the surgery, you can bring your headphones and listen to music.
Tips for after the procedure
As mentioned above, oral surgeons or dentists will administer anesthetic applications to patients who will have wisdom teeth removal. Some of the applications of anesthesia do not make you drowsy and you don’t need any help from other people after the surgery.
But some of these anesthetic applications make you drowsy. Therefore, in any case bring one of your friend or your family members to help you.
Tips can help you after the wisdom teeth removal
- If you have swelling on your mouth or cheeks, apply cold to affected area
- If you have pain after the wisdom teeth removal, you can use painkillers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen
- Drink a lot of water, but water must be lukewarm
- Do not brush your teeth after wisdom teeth removal
- Do not drink very hot or very cold drinks
- Do not spit. Spitting can lead to dry socket. Instead of spitting, replace gauze over the area as your dentist directed
- Avoid tiring activity and exercise for a few days
- You need to keep your head elevated after the procedure
- It is very important that you must be carefull about dry socket. Therefore, you must avoid rinsing,spitting and drinking hot drinks for about 24 hours.
- Stay away from alcohol and tobacco
- Eating soft or liquid food is a must for a few days. When you are eating these foods, try to chew with your other teeth
- If you had local anesthesia during surgery, you can drive your car. But if you had sedative or general anesthesia during surgery, you must not drive your car for about 24 hours to 48 hours
- It is good to gargle with salt water after the first 24 hours. The mixture is prepared by adding 1 teaspoon salt to 1 glass of warm water
When to call your dentist after wisdom teeth removal?
After all things done, you may have some complications due to surgery. Therefore, if you have any following conditions, call your dentist or your oral surgeon:
- If your bleeding does not stop 24 hours after the surgery
- Pain that is not gone by the painkillers or by prescribed medications
- Pus in the extracted area
- Diffuculty in swallowing or breathing
- Swelling that does not reduce for about a few days
- Loss of sensation and numbness